Wednesday, May 18, 2011

First post

For starters, I do not like computers or technology in general so the fact that I am starting a blog is a little hilarious! I rarely get on FB. I don't have a smart phone, and I just recently figured out what apps are so this will be a simple site to say the least! I am using this site to share the journey of faith that our family is on with family and friends and anyone else who may be adopting or considering adoption. I'm also writing to share the story of how God has been miraculously working in our lives so others can see His grace and power at work. Finally, I'm writing for our daughter so she will have a record of how God brought our souls together to be a forever family.

This faith journey started many years ago as I've long had the desire to adopt. After years of prayer and discussion with Chris, on Christmas Eve 2009, he shared with me that he also felt the call to adopt. I was elated and nervous...could this really happen! We put the idea on hold as we planned a move to VA. By May 2010, I was beginning to feel unsure of God's plan for us. Our house in Charlotte wasn't selling, Chris was commuting to VA every week, and my private practice was shutting down to prepare to move. We were in a place of uncertainty and anxiety. On Saturday, May 22, 2010, as Chris and the boys were away camping, I decided to take a hike at one of my favorite spots, Crowders Mountain. As I started up the trail, my mind was racing with all of the unknowns in our lives. I started talking to God letting Him know how anxious I was and how I wasn't sure what His will was for us with the move, adoption, jobs. Then I finally shut up and realized all I was doing was talking, not listening. So I asked God to help me quiet my mind and open my eyes, ears, and heart to what He wanted for our family. Toward the top of the mountain, I noticed something shiny out of the corner of my eye. There was never litter on this mountain, so I told myself I'd pick it up on my way back down. I spotted it again as I was heading down the mountain, so I trekked through the spider webs in the woods to get it. I will never forget the feeling of awe as I approached that "litter." It was a mylar balloon that read "It's a Girl!" I immediately felt God's presence and I ran down the mountain with that balloon in my hand, crying, smiling, and praising God for this miraculous sign!

Chris and I agreed to begin the adoption process right away, but we hit snags along the way given our potential move. By October 2010, our house still hadnt sold, Chris was traveling to VA less frequently, and my practice had completely closed so, with prayer and guidance, we decided it was time to put the move on hold and begin the adoption process. We found a fabulous agency, All God's Children, and by Novemeber 2010, our application had been accepted and we were officially on our way to adopting a child.

Whew...that's enough for one post. Story to be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Katie, as i read this it brought tears to my eyes and can only imagine how you felt when you saw "your message" on the balloon.. God works in mysterious ways and we can only thank Him for His works in our lives. This is a huge step in any persons life, may she bring all of you joy and happiness that a child can bring a family. My prayer for your family is to be together with Quinn as soon as she can possible. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care and Miss you guys dearly. Tracy Spies

    ReplyDelete