Friday, November 28, 2014

GREAT WALL!

Today, we went to the Fu Yang section of the Great Wall.  It was cold and windy, but Feng Lin was not deterred.  She wanted to walk up all the stairs!  Very steep stairs I might add.  We finally convinced her to walk down with Susan (she calls her "EYE-E" which means Auntie) so we could do more hiking.  Evidently, on the way down, Feng Lin counted 99 stairs she walked down.  After 99, she told Susan "There aren't any more numbers."  This kid just turned four years old!  Are you kidding me?!  She also talked to her about her friends at the orphanage and her surgery.  She was under three years old, but she remembered crying a lot and getting shots.  She said she doesn't cry anymore when she gets shots.  This little girl has been through so very much in her four short years.  I feel so protective of her already that I want to take it all away, but at least I know she will have family to love and comfort her during subsequent surgeries.  She doesn't have to be so tough anymore.
I took Feng Lin to the indoor pool in our hotel today while Chris was in the gym (as I'm writing this, I realize we are incredibly spoiled!)  I have no clue if she has ever been exposed to a pool.  All I know is that she loved the bathing suit, but vigorously shook her head NO when we arrived at the pool.  With great training from my dear friend, Katie, I can happily report that she LOVED the water by the end of our pool time.  She was kicking and blowing bubbles.  Fun stuff!
We are realizing that as loved and cared for Feng Lin was, she has missed so many important factors of having parents.  Being kissed is new to her.  She thinks it is funny because she makes the sound every time we kiss her.  She hasn't had sensory experiences like being upside down, tossed on a bed, tickled, or being bounced up high.  She gets very uneasy and shakes her head NO when we do those things, but she seems to be warming up gradually to those experiences.  She is also quickly growing to love books.  She loves Goodnight Moon and Brown Bear, Brown Bear as all our kids have. 
Chris and I are in constant awe of this beautiful child's resilience.  It is an answer to our prayers.  Seriously, every single child should know what it is like to be a part of a family and to have parents that love him/her.  Consider adopting or supporting someone else's adoption.  You will NOT regret it!  Off my soap box and off to bed:)  Love to all.
 
 






1 comment: