Wednesday, December 7, 2011

48 hours...

and Quinn is doing incredibly well.  It is honestly hard to believe that we have only been together two days because she has adjusted so well.  The toughest times for her over the past two days have been when waking up.  She would just look at us with a pouty face and be very quiet while rubbing her eyebrow with one hand (which is what we've learned she does whenever she's uncomfortable or tired.)  You could tell she was thinking, "why am I still here with these people?"  It was heart-breaking.  However, when she woke this morning and from this afternoon's naps, she smiled! 
Chris and I are absolutely amazed at how bright and easy she is.  Honestly, we were expecting a 2 1/2yr old that was developmentally more of a 1 1/2 yr old.  She was obviously blessed with an incredible foster mom because she is every bit a 2 1/2 yr old and then some.  She is repeating all sorts of words and signing more, please, water, etc.  She eats meticulously with her spoon and we haven't found anything she doesn't like to eat.  It's been a great diet for me because she eats half of all my meals:)  She can put on her own socks and shoes (and loves to do so), and whispers and leads me to the potty when she needs to go most of the time.  She has an awesome sense of humor and a huge belly laugh that we hear often, especially when Chris does something silly.  She LOVES music and will strut around singing and dancing. She's also an amazing sleeper.  When I get out her blanket and pick her up, she immediately starts rubbing that eyebrow and closes her eyes and is asleep within minutes.  The only time we have heard her cry is when we try to bathe her...man she's got some lungs! She is petrified of the water, but we're working on it.
We had another God miraculous moment...the orphanage mentioned on Gotcha Day that Quinn was in foster care with a 3yr old girl and that they were very close.  The other girl was adopted a month ago by a family in the US.  I gave my email address to the orphanage and they were kind enough to track down the little girl's parents in the US and got them in touch with us!  Now we'll be able to keep Quinn connected with her foster sister in the US.  What a blessing!
I can't complete this post without mentioning how awesome the Garden Hotel is.  We have a suite so Chris and I have somewhere to hang out after Quinn's asleep.  We've been taking turns hitting the gym and the buffet breakfast rocks!  It's a great location near lots of restaurants and stores and even has a play room for kids.
Our latest adventure was dinner tonight.  We'd heard about a nice Chinese place to get some good dim sum, Guangzhou's specialty.   The restaurant was a bit fancier than we had expected and we ended up cracking ourselves up with our poor manners.  We used the wrong chopsticks (some were for serving and some for eating), accidentally ate off the charger plates, used our napkins on our laps instead of protecting the table, and Quinn spilled a cup of tea at the end of the meal.  Needless to say, the wait staff at this top notch establishment was not too pleased with us, but the food was great and the dim sum rocked!








The appointments are fewer and farther between from here on out so we have lots of free time and aren't quite sure how we'll use it all. Looking forward to sharing more adventures...

7 comments:

  1. She's an absolute beauty! So happy to hear that she is adjusting so well.

    We are another AGCI family and we'll be traveling in two days!

    Blessings,
    Amy P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post brought chills from my head to toe. The "Getting to Know You" stage is moving so much faster than I had expected! She is an amazingly bright and funny little girl, and I can't believe how long her attention span is(i.e, re-reading Goodnight Moon to her)!

    The photo of Chris and Quinn walking together is one I'll frame - along with the one of you holding her the first night. And another one, and another one...

    I am SO excited about keeping the connection with Quinn's foster sister! I wish you could meet and thank her foster mom. Can you leave a letter for her? It seems she made all the difference. Unreal.

    I am taking my toothpicks out of the cucumber (a story for later), just waiting for the day you call and say, "We're home!"

    I plan to call Colin and Owen tonight. I trust they are doing well. Their schedule is so tight during the week, it's hard to know when to call. I miss them so much.

    I love you all,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie---this is truly an inspiring blog to read. My daughter and I prayed last night for "Quinn in China" and her new forever parents, to have a great day today. My husband is reading the blog too and we're discussing adoption more and more. Thank you so much for blogging. Keep up the great work, Mama....
    Love love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where's the video!? Come on, pokies. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. We can't wait to meet her! She is so so adorable. LOVE the blog updates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess what - I'm replacing my photo of Quinn (still hanging on my kitchen cabinet door!) with one of these sweet photos you all together. She looks so happy, Katie! And so do you and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems like you are having a wonderfl experience! I am getting more and more excited to head that direction! We should be cabled this week (:
    -Ellen

    ReplyDelete