Monday, December 5, 2011

FAMILY OF FIVE:)

I was mid-post when our guide showed up earlier to prep us for the trip to get Quinn so I never composed all I wanted to say. It is now 6:15pm and we have been back to the room with Quinn for about 3 hours! I felt as if my heart would leap out of my chest when we arrived at the building to get Quinn. She arrived with one of the orphanage representatives as we were waiting. I knew her as soon as she came into view. Then the tears started to flow. The pictures we have been staring at for 10 months were a real, live beautiful girl!
She was quickly taken to the "waiting" room behind the curtain, but within 10 minutes, we were called to come meet our daughter. A kind man offered to take video for us as he waited to meet his son and I believe he captured everything, though I haven't watched the video yet. Quinn cried a lot for the first few minutes, but as soon as we sat down, took off her coat (she was burning up) and offered her some snacks, the tears dried up and we even got a few small grins as she ate.  She has not shed one tear since those first few minutes.  She has warmed to both Chris and me instead of connecting only to one of us initially.  She has such an amazingly content and fun personality!  We were able to ask the orphanage questions about her care and one question I asked was how to console her when she is crying a lot.  Her response was, "She doesn't cry a lot!"  It is true.  She has been incredibly observant and playful.  I'll try to get some video online of her belly laughs. 
Now it is 7:50pm and she just ate a ton of food and is already signing to ask for more and she spouts phrases of Cantonese to tell us what she wants more of.  We learned she also speaks and understands Mandarin and she is already imitating English words we say.  She is quite the parrot, imitating our faical expressions and words.  She is a super smart cookie.  She has amazed us with how she imitates our play and communicates with us to get what she wants.  (Although as I write this, she is chewing on her hairbrush:)  We shared a photo book with her that has pictures of us and Colin and Owen.  She pointed to them and said "Gu-Gu" meaning big brother!  Then she kissed their pictures:)  I got it on video!  She is doing a great job using her right hand and has already used the big potty for us!  I could go on and on and on about how surreal and miraculous this day has been.  Instead, I will try to get some pictures and video posted that will just skim the surface of what we have experienced today.
We are overwhelmed with God's blessing of this little girl, our daughter.  Can't wait to share more soon...

3 comments:

  1. Oh Katie....I'm in tears.....so happy for you so so happy. Love, Love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratultions a million times over!! My heart is bursting with joy and my eyes are filled with tears! What a beautiful first day together! We're also through AGCI and will be leaving to China the 23rd! Thank you so much for sharing your journey- it's bringing us much comfort and anticipation as we wait for our blessed moment of first-meeting. Praying for your sweet family!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie & Chris! Kathy just sent me a note saying you were in China. How wonderful! We know these feelings so well; thanks for taking us back with you. It sounds like Quinn is an amazing little girl and will fit right in with your family. Congratulations! Love, Rich & Laura

    ReplyDelete